Now that I’m doing the Capsule Wardrobe I feel a lot more clear headed about my wardrobe. I didn’t realize how much aimless shopping I did until I gave myself a strict wardrobe list and budget for each season.
For instance, although I have a lot of button-ups, I would periodically wander into JCrew and want to buy three more. Now, when I walk into a store, I have plan. I’m no longer lured in by those crisp white button-up sirens. I know I’m looking for a few feminine tops to add to my wardrobe, and feel no rush or pressure to add them.
I’ve also realized I don’t need that many options. In high school I was careful not to repeat an outfit for at least 3 weeks. Now I wear the same thing multiple times a week. Who cares if my outfits are repetitive? If I feel beautiful and confident, that’s all that matters.
I also feel an overwhelming sense of gratitude that I can think creatively about my wardrobe. Doing a Capsule Wardrobe means I am very blessed. I have a roof over my head, and food on my table. I am safe, healthy, and have meaningful relationships. To dream up a fun wardrobe is a gift not everyone has, and I don’t take that lightly.
Right off the bat you’ll notice a few things about my Winter Capsule:
- Yoga pants – If my yoga pants were a person, she’d be my best friend that I’d tell all my secrets too. Workout clothes don’t count in the Capsule Wardrobe, which is a major plus because I wear them every day. But I want to be honest about what I actually wear, and it’s yoga pants. I love them.
- A cocktail dress – Technically cocktail dresses don’t count either. But another big part of my life is being a bridesmaid. I’ll be a bridesmaid for the 17th time next week. So it seemed fitting to include this bridesmaid dress, which I’ve been able to wear as a cocktail dress.
I’m excited about my Winter Capsule. I feel good in all of these outfits, and I only purchased two new things: an amazing black romper (on sale for $29 — go Madewell), and an off-the-shoulder dress that will transition nicely into spring and summer.
Here’s the breakdown:
- yoga pants – My favorites are Wunder Unders by Lululemon
- dark skinny jeans – Seriously the most comfortable pair of jeans I own
- white jeans – Wearing white in the winter makes me feel like I’m adding light to a very dark and cold NYC winter world
- boyfriend jeans – again…comfort!
- romper – A good romper is like the one stop shop. Love it.
- leggings – #comfort
- 2 silk tanks – navy blue + black
- 1 turtleneck
- 1 cashmere sweater
- 1 cardigan
- 1 tunic
- 1 peplum top
- 1 chambray button-up
- 1 white oxford button-up
- 1 silk blouse
3 Dresses + Skirts
- puffer jacket (no link needed…just go into any Uniqlo)
- wool jacket – going on my 3rd year with this investment purchase from JCrew