Has anyone else noticed that CBD is totally having a moment? You’re probably wondering ‘What is CBD?’ ‘Can I Get High From CBD?’ and ‘Is CBD legal?’ I put out a poll on IG stories and asked you if you’d want me to have an expert on to learn more about it and it just so happens that my bestie Boronia Fallshaw is the founder of Mello. We’re recording from my bed, just like the episodes with my other besties Sara and Amanda.
“I think it’s important, when you’re talking about something like CBD, to completely understand it scientifically so you know how it’s going to affect your body.”
What Is CBD vs THC? Why Is CBD Legal?
- A cannabinoid is a chemical compound that exists in cannabis—there are about 85. They work with your endocannabinoid system which regulates homeostasis.
- Our bodies already create endocannabinoids, but when we get sick things get deficient and the system doesn’t function properly.
- You can bring your body back to homeostasis through the use of cannabinoids.
- CBD is a cannabinoid that works with the cannabinoid receptors outside of your brain, that’s why it doesn’t give you the high.
- THC works with the receptors inside your brain, thus causing highs.
- CBD only recently became legalized. For a long time, it was in a grey area.
- As of December 2018, the Farm Bill was approved, which legalized products containing hemp-derived cannabinoids, including CBD and THC. However, the concentration of THC within each product can never be above 0.3%.
- Something to be aware of: CBD sometimes comes up on drug tests.
How To Identify A Good Product
- “Read the packaging labels and read the ingredient labels.”
- Check the amount of CBD. A reputable brand will list the gross amount (total in the package) as well as the recommended serving.
- Cannabinoids only come from: stalks, leaves, flowers, buds, and stems. Seed oils do not contain cannabinoids, but can function well in beauty products.
- See if it is full spectrum, broad spectrum, or an isolate. Make sure it is hemp-derived!
- Full spectrum includes the limited amount of THC, the anti-oxidants, the omega 3’s.
- Broad spectrum is the same, minus the THC. Isolate is when ONLY the CBD is extracted.
What You Need To Know About Edibles
- A lot of cafes will have drinks that include CBD, but you should be careful of that.
- “When you’re ingesting any edible, you’re only getting 20% of it.”
- So if they are using an oil that is designed to be held under the tongue in your coffee you are wasting its value. If you want to add CBD to your coffee make sure you are using a product that is designed to be digested.
- The brand you are buying from should be clear about the product being a tincture (ie: designed to be held under the tongue) vs a water soluble product that is designed to be drunk or eaten.
- It’s important to make sure that anything you are using as an edible is being marketed as an edible. If it’s not meant to be an edible, you’re wasting your money.
How To Use CBD
- Making sure you’re dosing correctly is trial and error. Boronia journals every day to track her responses.
- “That got me to a point where I know that 33 mg every day is perfect for me.”
- If you’re new to CBD products, use the recommended dosage for the product and go from there.
- “Get into a regime because then you’re operating from a place of fullness rather than deficiency.”
- If you’re not feeling any change after three days, get in contact with the company you bought it from and ask questions. Figure out the best way to use it for you.
Perks of CBD
- Boronia swears by CBD because it helps her but gives her no side effects.
- “It’s like coming out of a really epic meditation but it’s with you throughout the whole day.”
- Any time people say it doesn’t work for them it is often because they are expecting to feel something in their head, but that is not where CBD is at work.
- “It doesn’t fix you, it helps your body fix itself.”
- “How can I bring balance back into my life?”
Some Of Your Questions:
Should I get off of my anxiety medications and switch to CBD?
- Absolutely not—get in touch with your doctor and discuss with them that you want to try cannabinoids. Plenty of people do both.
Should you take CBD when you’re pregnant?
- No. We don’t know the science of what it does to a fetus. If you really want to, consult your doctor.
What are the top reasons to take CBD?
- Effective pain reliever, anti-inflammatory, anxiety reducing, helps sleep, appetite control, moderates the number of seizures people have.
What are your favorite products?
- Boronia’s company sells bath bombs and she also loves vaping. It hits your bloodstream really quickly so you can take as needed. And, Mello just launched their own product, delicious Sea Salted Caramels with 15mg of CBD in each bite.
Boronia advises that you should just give CBD a go! Test it for a while, journal about what it does for you, and make it work for you. However, if you experience any adverse effects, absolutely stop taking it. You can keep up with Boronia on Instagram at @boroniamarie and visit her website at MelloDaily.com, Instagram at @mellodailycbd, or email her at [email protected].
If you want to learn more, head over to https://mellodaily.com/cbd-facts/.
If you like the podcast, I want to invite you to subscribe to the podcast and leave a rating and review. It helps us to get the episode out to more people and means the world to us! We’d love to hear your reactions to this specific episode and what topics you want to hear more of!
Fab Fit Fun is a seasonal subscription box that has FULL-SIZED beauty, fitness, fashion, and lifestyle products and I am so obsessed, y’all. The contents always have a worth of about $200 the boxes only cost $49.99! A few of my favorites from this box: a travel yoga mat, Vitamin C serum, and a gold eye mask. Even better? You get to customize what goes into your box! If you’ve ever thought about trying it—now is the time! If you go to www.fabfitfun.com and use code TRW, you’ll get $10 off your first box!